I’ve been cleaning out some of the blog post ideas I’ve had over the past couple of years and never completed and I came across this post about making an FBX scene loader for XNA, a topic I was once rather interested in.
Why would you want to do this?
- You would be able to open your levels in Blender and manipulate them there, as I know from experience manipulating models inside your game to build out your level is tiresome. [ref]
- It is an alternative to editing the scene in your own hand rolled editor [ref] [ref]
- But if you Must roll your own you could start here
- It may be easier to just use something like Metali [ref] or Sunburn [ref]
Here is how it seems one would go about doing it:
- Create a parser that can disassociate the the parts of the scene into their respective models.[ref]
- Get to know the Content Pipeline [ref]
- Be sure to handle all the matrix operations to get stuff located properly[ref]
- this can get tricky (be forewarned)[ref]
- You will need to make a custom Shader Pipeline and align your approach in the editor to work with your available Shaders (might be supporting reason to role your own Editor)[ref]